MS06 Integration of MXF with BXF
Mapping and addition of MXF metadata to BXF (SMPTE S2021-2008). Provides compatibility between BXF messages and MXF files.
The technical user requirements for this project have been identified as follows:
- A BXF message that refers to a MXF file shall include a description of the kind of essence referred to by the message.
- A BXF message that refers to a MXF file should include a copy of the package and track structure of that essence.
- Content identification shall be represented and carried consistently in a BXF message that refers to MXF-file-wrapped content and as part of the MXF file’s metadata.
- Where content is identified by an Ad-id, content identifiers and high-level metadata should be represented with an Ad-id in a consistent way between BXF messages and MXF files that those messages refer to.
- Elements of descriptive metadata that are part of MXF files may be represented in BXF messages that refer to those files. (AS-03 shim, for example.)
- The elemental structure of a program shall be represented in a consistent way in a BXF message and within the MXF file that it refers to. This will enable a playout system to be able to determine the segments of content to play between breaks from either representation.
- Slate metadata shall be represented in a consistent way between a BXF message, the MXF file it refers to and (optionally) any source media, such as a tape.
- A BXF schedule message may refer to content stored in an MXF file that is compatible with AMWA application specifications AS-02 and AS-03. (Also valid for as run data.)
- Specify the minimum and permitted set of metadata that shall be included in a BXF content transfer message that refers MXF-file-wrapped content. This can be used by a source system to request that a target system retrieves the content.
- Specify the minimum and permitted set of metadata that shall be included in a response to a BXF query related to content stored in a MXF file.
- Specify the minimum and permitted set of metadata that shall be included in a BXF content message that allows a source system to notify a target system of the availability, elemental structure and type of MXF-file-wrapped content.
- Specify the minimum and permitted set of metadata that shall be included in a BXF content transfer message intended to cause a transcode operation for material stored in an MXF file. The nature of the transcoding operation is determined by the essence descriptors provided as the source and target of a BXF content transfer message.
- Provide a means that a BXF message may be contained within a SOAP message, to include the appropriate WS profile and protocol, and the behaviour of the message encoder and decoder.
- For a BXF message that references MXF-file-wrapped content, specify the pattern of expected messages that should be expected to achieve each kind of operation in the following list: content transfer request, content transfer notification, query, transcode request, transcode notification, schedule creation/update, as run, content notification. For example, a server should always acknowledge the receipt of a content transfer request from a client. At some point later, the server replies to the client indicate whether the content has been transferred successfully or a failure has occurred.
- For a BXF message that references MXF-file-wrapped content, the interaction between any server and client shall be reliable. A server must make every effort to carry out a service requested of it that it provides, ignoring any metadata belonging to any namespace or descriptive scheme that it does not support.
The MS-06 specification document is being developed as a wiki page. Please feel free to edit and comment on the document using this wiki.