M13

From AMWA-EBU

Jump to: navigation, search

FIMS is organising a face-to-face meeting on 7 to 9 November 2011 at IBM Herndon, Virginia.

Meeting times:

   Monday 7 November, Tuesday 8 November: 9am – 5pm
   Wednesday 9 November: 9am – 3pm


Contents

DAY 1

MONDAY: Toshiaki Kojima - Sony, Brad Gilmer - AMWA, John Footen - Cognizant, Giorgio Dimino - RAI, Julio Wang - IBM, Praveen Dharmavaram - IBM, Richard Cartwright - Quantel, Paul Gardiner - Sony, JP Evain - EBU, Chris Lennon - Harris, Zsolt Fulop - Harris, Manuel Escribano - VSN, Jordi Gilabert - VSN, Paul Turner - Harmonic, Roger Sacilotto - Avid.

Webex: Andreas Aust - Tixel, Peter Brightwell - BBC, Mathews Thomas - IBM, Matthias Elser - IRT, Simon Wade - KTP, Todd Web - ??, Joerg Houpert - CubeTec, Yoshi Shibata – metaFrontier.jp

Agenda

Approved as proposed.

Lessons from IBC and plan for future demos

IBC, like NAB was successful although showing an old version of the specification.

Some problems like some FIMS members not fulfilling their part of the demo settting while still benefiting from the public exposition. This will be more clearly monitored and avoided in the future.

What could go in a future demo?

  • announce FIMS 1.0
  • provide compliance guidelines
  • give room for more participants to appear on the front row
  • investigate a more distributed demo approach with a central FIMS meeting point and demo on FIMS member booths.

NAB or else will become FIMS project in the new project working procedures.

New FIMS terms of reference

Giorgio and Brad presented the new project working procedures... so called FIMS gouvernance.

The project is still sponsored by AMWA and EBU who nominate representatives in the FIMS Board, alongside with the chairs and the project managers.

Below the broad, the project will be formed of a business board (looking for identification of work and prioritization) and a technical Board in charge of setting up and chairing projects to accomplish the goals agreed and assigned by the business board.

  • Business Board to be setup -> ADM plays this role in the interim
  • fims-dev is the Technical Board

tFIMS

tFIMS is to be treated in the new FIMS process starting with use cases before a technical framework is setup.

ACTION: John Footen will call for contributions on tFIMS (what when, how and who?)

NAB 2012 and IBC2012

ACTION: John Footen and Brad Gilmer to propose an activity.

Webinar on November 30th, 2011

Details to be provided by EBU one week before the event.

Agenda:

  • Current status in FIMS and FIMS 1.0
  • Future work: RFT for new use cases, claa for contributions on tFIMS

General review of technical contributions

The Sony proposal for document separation was agreed:

- Part 1: General Description

- Part 2: Base schema and Service Interface Sepcifications

- Part 3: Implementation Guidelines

ACTION:
Prepare strawman Implementation Guidelines by 1 December: Kojima-san & Praveen

The group went through a brief review of all comments in order to organise work more efficiently (to be completed on Day 2).

Annotated summary of comments reviewed so far: File:Comments on FIMS 1.0 - Summary Rev1.ppt and annotated general comments from Sony reviewed so far: File:20111101 Sony GeneralComments Rev1.ppt (NB this file also includes annotations on all Sony comments discussed.)

ACTIONS:
1. Media container that has two or more video (or audio) tracks where each track has its own format:
   Jörg/Denis requested to provide real-world examples
2. How can we pass connection information for source and destination locations to the service, 
   ftp user and password for example - Mirko requested to provide proposal(s) for consideration. 
3. Various editorials and 'state' issue (pause) - Richard Cartwright to provide input (offline)
4. Is any kind of URI allowed? (Sony G8) - add note: Peter Brightwell to propose text
   How about: A syntax option value of "url" indicates that the file path is indicated using a file URI scheme, i.e. "file://<host>/<path>
5. Capture Service and RTP (Sony G20)- add the necessary parameters: Richard Cartwright to propose.
6. Data model proposal - Richard Cartwright to lead discussion on Wednesday morning

DAY 2 Discussion of the FIMS specification based on the comments (continued)

TUESDAY: Toshiaki Kojima - Sony, Brad Gilmer - AMWA, Giorgio Dimino - RAI, Julio Wang - IBM, Praveen Dharmavaram - IBM, Richard Cartwright - Quantel, Paul Gardiner - Sony, JP Evain - EBU, Chris Lennon - Harris, Zsolt Fulop - Harris, Manuel Escribano - VSN, Jordi Gilabert - VSN, Roger Sacilotto - Avid. Webex: Andreas Aust - Tixel, Peter Brightwell - BBC, Mathews Thomas - IBM, Matthias Elser - IRT, Simon Wade - KTP, Todd Web - ??, Joerg Houpert - CubeTec, Loic Barbou - Bloomberg, Peter Guglielmino - IBM, Ashraf Tadros - Bloomberg

Webex: Peter Brightwell - BBC, Matthias Elser - IRT, Simon Wade - KTP, Yoshi Shibata – metaFrontier.jp, Hans Hoffmann, EBU


Brief Summary of Day1 and round of introduction

Review Sony comments (continued)

Many editorial any minor issues.

Discussion on the use of the timeType (TC only?) and durationType (NPT or EditUnit only?).

Some point of dicussion related to the notion of extension to be discussed later.

Review BBC comments

Technical metadata/EBUCore - discussion

Three main points of discussion

  • extension of the base set of technical parameters

The group reviewed the proposal for extension from Bloomberg, based on implementers feedback.

Bloomberg has proposed additional parameters for audioFormat and videoFormat. The main question was to separate these parameters into the following clusters: 1) the base set of technical parameters 2) extensions at the service level e.g. for capture, transfer, transform.

ACTION: re-draft that part of the specificaction from technical metadata and propose a few additional
base technical attributes AND a mechanism for extensions at the service level 
(drafting group: Praveen, Roger, Loic, Toshiaki, Jean-Pierre, Richard, Giorgio). 
Complete the proposals by end November, for consideration by FIMS Development Group.
  • allow more than one video or audio format per BMO description: agreed
ACTION: implement the changes in cardinality of audio and video formats at the same time the new structure is composed
  • compatibility with complex content structures and with dynamic metadata with specific timelines

The point is taken and the specification doesn't address this in all necessary details although Bloomberg implements this to a certain extent using the complexBmo mechanisms to compose content. FIMS 1.0 issue ? The fact that FIMS 1.0 is not allowing extensions is an issue (would this be such a fundamental an issue that delaying it would lead to FIMS 2.0, which we want to avoid).


Bloomberg also introduced the future work on repository access services but this is for phase 2 and will follow the FIMS process via the business board.

ACTION: Bloomberg to submit a use case as a response to the RFT

Service Description - discussion (Sony)

A detailed review of message parameters.

Updated comments document reflecting outcome of discussion: File:20111101 ServiceDescription Comment Rev1.ppt

  ACTION: bmContent - IBM to propose the type for extension

NB: proposed changes to extendedJobInfo are still under discussion.

Issues requiring further discussion

  • Media container that has two or more video (or audio) tracks where each track has its own format (Jörg/Denis) - to be covered by Metadata drafting group
  • How can we pass connection information for source and destination locations to the service, ftp user and password for example (Mirko)
  • Sometimes, it is necessary, that a file must be renamed during the transfer.
  • For this case the transform service defines the outputFileNamePattern, but it is not part of the transfer request?! (Mirko)
  • Callback pattern and the MediaResponseType (Mirko)
  • Asynchronous request response pattern (Mirko)
  • ListFilterType (Matthias) - asked if there is a proposal
  • Service Endpoint (Sony, G5) - done
  • Asynchronous Request/Response with Notification (Sony, G12) - done
  • Exact meaning of “finishBefore” (Sony, G16, P5) - done
  • Definition of “Profile” (Sony, G18)
  • BaseRequestType (Sony G21, P5) - done
  • BaseResponseType (Sony G23, P5) - done

Updated annotated summary of comments following Day 2 discussion: File:Comments on FIMS 1.0 - Summary Rev2.ppt

DAY 3 Discussion of the FIMS specification based on the comments (continued)

THURSDAY: Toshiaki Kojima - Sony, Brad Gilmer - AMWA, John Footen - Cognizant, Giorgio Dimino - RAI, Julio Wang - IBM, Praveen Dharmavaram - IBM, Richard Cartwright - Quantel, Paul Gardiner - Sony, JP Evain - EBU, Chris Lennon - Harris, Zsolt Fulop - Harris, Manuel Escribano - VSN, Jordi Gilabert - VSN, Paul Turner - Harmonic, Roger Sacilotto - Avid, Loic Barbou - Bloomberg, Ashraf Tadros - Bloomberg, Gaurav Bhasin - Bloomberg, Jeffrey Seifer - Bloomberg, Jeffrey Rettinger - IBM, Micheal Steel - IBM, Ashraf Tadros - Bloomberg

Webex: Andreas Aust - Tixel, Peter Brightwell - BBC, Yoshi Shibata – metaFrontier.jp

Introductions

Each participant introduced himself briefly.

Data model - Richard Cartwright

Richard presented slides on how to adapt FIMS to keep it REST compatible although still supporting SOAP.

Loic Barbou from Bloomberg presented a similar approach based on their repository model.

A group will be formed to evaluate the situation and lead to a decision:

- Richard, Loic and Peter G. to prepare a joint merged version of their models O

- Organise a webex in November with Peter B., jean-Pierre, Roger, Peter G., Manuel, Toshiaki

- Evaluate compatibility with FIMS 1.0 and impact on specification + effort needed to come with a revised specification

- Demonstrate support of multiple approaches -> REST and SOAP and other level of absraction job management

- Propose action to FIMS also including a possible rewamping of FIMS 1.0

When?

  • End of November - interim report on the risk/impact regarding viability of FIMS 1.0 and amount of estinated work and effort

Service Description XML schema - Kojima-san

Remaining comments requiring discussion

  • Sometimes, it is necessary, that a file must be renamed during the transfer.

For this case the transform service defines the outputFileNamePattern, but it is not part of the transfer request?! (Mirko)

  • Callback pattern and the MediaResponseType (Mirko)
  • Definition of “Profile” (Sony, G18)


 - Final annotated Summary of Comments: File:Comments on FIMS 1.0 - Summary Rev3.ppt

Timescales & Action Plan for completion of FIMS v1.0

Specification documentation

End of November:

  • Technical Metadata and EBUCore: propose chnages in base technical metadata and extensions per services
  • Model based on comments received from Quantel and Bloomberg for a more REST compliant FIMS 1.0 specification

End of January:

  • Finish specification FIMS 1.0
Next FIMS-DEV meeting is in January in Geneva - 4 days, either starting on January 16th or 23rd.
NB the intention is by the end of this meeting to have *fully completed* the update to v1.0 and to hand it over to AMWA and EBU

Reference Software

IBM has already one version ready. May need adjustment according to future discussion on the model

Guidelines for Implementers

The document is important. It will be owned by the Technical Baord and Paul Gardiner.

Kojima-san agreed to work on a first version of the document.

Meeting details

Agenda

Final annotated PowerPoint version of agenda: File:FIMS Herndon 7-9November Rev2.ppt

Input Documents for discussion

   Specification: Document separation from v1.0.0 into separate component parts for updating and further development (Sony)
   - Part 1: General Description 
             - see: File:FIMS R1.0.0 Part1.pdf
   - Part 2: Schema Description (composed from individual Word documents describing Base Schema, Transfer Service, Transform Service and Capture service)
             - see: File:FIMS R1.0.0 Part2.pdf
   - Part 3: Implementation Guidelines (to be written)
   PowerPoint giving the background to the above proposal: File:Document Separation.ppt
   Compilation of comments received on FIMS specification v1.0: File:Comments on FIMS 1.0 - Summary.ppt
   Sony's comments on feedback received: File:CommentOnFeedBack Rev4.ppt

VENUE

IBM

2300 DULLES STATION BLVD

DULLES STATION WEST FLOORS 1,2,4,5,6

HERNDON, VA 20171-6133

Room 205

Personal tools
FIMS Meetings
FIMS Events, documents